Thursday, September 01, 2005

A Friend of mine (like so many others) has been effected by Hurricane Katrina...

She says this:
Hello.

I would like to thank everyone for your prayers. Me and 24 other members of my family are in a hotel in Dallas, Texas. I am writing you from Brookhaven Community College.

I am very blessed. Very little money but we have contacted FEMA and Red Cross.

It is very surreal. Yesterday I was getting supplies from Wal-Mart. Everyone in the store was so happy, preparing for their Labor Day festivities, while all I could get was food I needed to survive for my family. I cried right there. People in Texas are very hospitatable: They have offered to let my cousins come here for school even though the semester has already started. Everyone is hugging us, kissing us, providing help for us.

I will be relocating to a friend's house in Mesa, AZ. Financially I am not ok but I will soon ask for moneywire from my father who lives in South Carolina.

You CAN make a difference. Any denomination of donation to FEMA and Red Cross can change or save a life.

More important than money is the prayers that you all have been doing. I ask that you all get on your knees and pray for the victims of this tragedy, including the MANY members on this forum that are from this tri-state area. There are thousands of people that are dead. What the media won't show you on television are the HUNDREDS of bodies floating in water that is filled with raw sewage and gasoline. What they won't show you is people trapped inside attics, begging to get out. What the media won't show you is babies being born in The Superdome, the many people who are being shot by desparate, tired, hungry people.



I wanted to pass this on to everyone that reads my blog so that they can do something!

I have another friend who works in PR for the Red Cross and she sent me this info on Hurricane Katrina Relief Aid:

I know people want to help and send things like water and clothes and food but the only thing that most local chapters of Red Cross can take are monetary donations and those are designated to disaster relief. Yesterday morning the estimated cost of aid and relief was 130 million today we are looking at over 21 billion dollars needed.
 
 At this time the only chapters that can take physical items are in Louisiana and they'd have to be personally delivered. We aren't allowed to transport and ship things to them (well at least at the moment, we'll see as time progresses). If you know people within Louisiana that want to donate in person they can take stuff to LSUS (Louisiana State Univ. in Shreveport) and the Northwest Louisiana Red Cross 4221 Linwood Avenue Shreveport, LA 71108
 
If you know people that are missing or you can't find there are a few things you can do... one is register on the National Next of Kin registry @ http://nokr.org also the American Red Cross re-launched its national preparedness information hotline 1-866-GET INFO to provide callers with disaster safety and preparedness information.
 
If giving is something you want to do there are several orgs (not just the one I work for that you can contact... but keep in mind that Red Cross we are mandated to do this and have already sent out hundreds in response) you can give online at redcross.org or call 1800-help-now
 
Here are recommended places from FEMA
 
Donate cash to:

American Red Cross
1-800-HELP NOW (435-7669) English,
1-800-257-7575 Spanish;

Operation Blessing
1-800-436-6348

America’s Second Harvest
1-800-344-8070

Donate Cash to and Volunteer with:

Adventist Community Services
1-800-381-7171

Catholic Charities, USA
703 549-1390

Christian Disaster Response
941-956-5183 or 941-551-9554

Christian Reformed World Relief Committee
1-800-848-5818

Church World Service
1-800-297-1516

Convoy of Hope
417-823-8998

Lutheran Disaster Response
800-638-3522

Mennonite Disaster Service
717-859-2210

Nazarene Disaster Response
888-256-5886

Presbyterian Disaster Assistance
800-872-3283

Salvation Army
1-800-SAL-ARMY (725-2769)

Southern Baptist Convention -- Disaster Relief
1-800-462-8657, ext. 6440

United Methodist Committee on Relief
1-800-554-8583

If you’re having trouble of which organization to give to she says:
First, of course I'll say red cross because I know how the money is distributed... i.e. people that come to us are going to get things such as cleaning supplies and a debit type card loaded with money where they will be able to purchase things but a lot of what we are doing is going to be apart of the long haul (except our shelters and counseling, mental health etc. but we'll be there at least 3/4 months)... so immediately I'd say.... Red Cross, then Southern Baptist Convention, I know for a fact is providing a lot of the food to our shelters so they could use money for that... same with America's Second Harvest... that's a foodbank so they need help... Operation blessing is similar to us in a lot of ways but they focus on "urban and rural" families which most of the people effected are and  they provide a lot of material things (clothes etc) where right now all we (red cross) can provide is shelter and counseling until people can get near their homes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kingypoo said...

Very cool blog you got! I just added you to my bookmarks!

I have a great article resource you might want to check out.

8:41 AM  
Blogger TheDevilIsInTheDetails said...

For the next hurricane carla ; the easy way to keep going.

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home