Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Art & Commerce

I've been trying to get out of my writer's block phase and put pen to paper or fingers to keys, rather. What really gave me a kick in the pants was reading this book Loose Ends by Electa Rome Parks.


Praised for its "cutting-edge dialogue, intriguing characters, and a spicy storyline," Electa Rome Parks's The Ties That Bind introduced a savagely honest look at modern romance.


Well, if by "cutting-edge dialogue, intriguing characters, and a spicy storyline", they mean lousy language skills and one or two sex scenes less than a Zane novel, then sure, but if they meant it literally they're on her payroll. So, you're saying well you bought it sucker...well I did and I didn't. I belong to that Black Expressions Bookclub and I keep forgetting to cancel, so this was sent to me automatically. I wanted a book to read on the train, so I just picked this one up.


Anyway, is this what black people are reading now? Answering myself, I'll say yes. All the time I see black women reading books like this and worse, books entitled things like "Thug Passion" (please tell me there isn't a book named that). So, reading this book made me say to myself, "Self, you need to start writing again because you can write circles around this woman!" (sorry Electa)


Ah, but the problem (besides my writer's block) is that people don't want to read intelligent books anymore. So, you have to decide between art and commerce and Lord knows I need to get paid. So, I've decided to go the Jay-Z route, to be clever, but commercial.


"If skills sold, truthfully/Lyrically, I'd be Talib Kweli." - Jay-Z


Oh and to help with the writer's block I started a writing circle blog with some friends, check it out! Diaspora Writers

9 Comments:

Blogger Danyel said...

the Diaspora Writers blog is such an excellent idea.

!!!

dSW

3:36 PM  
Blogger Tonyette said...

Here is my question. Why didn't I know about your two previous blogs? am I not a part of this part of your world?
Seriously, though I just ask because I LOVE blogs! I might even start one. we'll see!

5:26 PM  
Blogger Tonyette said...

Second comment. I ALSO will be receiving this DRIVEL b/c I keep forgetting to cancel my dang subscription to Black Expressions. Yay, me!

5:29 PM  
Blogger Ms_Kenesha said...

Sorry honey, I forgot to tell you about it. I love blogs, too!

9:27 AM  
Blogger SimplyDiva said...

I feel you on the books! I said the same thing when I went to a book store a couple of weeks ago and more than half of the books in the "African American" literature section were this new wave of "urban romance." WTH is that! Who wants to read a book called "Playas need love too" (and yes that's a real book).

10:58 AM  
Blogger chase said...

You know its a damn shame when you cant even shop in the black section of the store, and even cats selling books on the corner are only selling this bullshit....:::shrugs::: I thought it was just me, that I was the onl one that hated this crap. I mean im all down for a sex scene, but do I have to know ever minute thing? dang, some things are just TMI.

1:45 AM  
Blogger Palaver0sauce said...

Say it ain't so! Seriously K, please don't succumb to the dribble that just feeds into the mindless garbage out there. There are some of us yearning, struggling to find and even write our own literature that will challenge our minds, dissect our hearts, touch our souls, and awake our activism and fight! Just look at what is going on around us, as "we" write and read about "shaking" our "thang" and how well he's "hung," etc. IMHO, we are being left behind. What am I doing? Struggling and trying to pave a way. I know I'm not alone. I admire your determination and sense of ownership and enterprising ways. Keep it up!

6:38 PM  
Blogger sheeclectic said...

I always thought that was a heavy quote by Jay-z. I need to start writing too, while the black reading revolution is still in effect. Shoot, I won the Young Authors award in 3rd grade! What am I waiting for?! LOL

3:55 PM  
Blogger Electa Rome Parks said...

Hi Kanesha,

Happy birthday!

Sorry to hear you were not feeling my second book, LOOSE ENDS; I guess fortunately for me, many readers are.

One thing I've learned since becoming a part of the publishing industry: You can't please everybody; what one person doesn't enjoy, someone else will.

I wish you the best in your writing endeavors!

Best,

Author of Loose Ends and Almost Doesn't Count
Electa Rome Parks

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home