Monday, June 27, 2005

I want to be a bougie black girl...

I want to be a bougie black girl...

I want to be one of those fly jazzy chicks who went to Howard or Spellman. I want to be the girl who wasn't the first person in her family to go to a University. I want to be in a long line of negro professionals, fourth generation at least.

I wish my mother was in the Links and I was in Jack & Jill. I wish I had fly black and white or sepia toned pictures of my relatives in the 20's doing Harlem Renaissance-y things. I wish I could map out my family tree and say things like, "you know Great Uncle Phillip was the first negro dentist in town" or "oh, that's Uncle Clayton, you know they named that street after him in Macon".

I want to be one of those hoity-toity black chicks who took piano, horseback riding, and ballet. Where was my coming out at the debutante ball? Where was my Sweet 16? My Tiffany Oval Tag bracelet? My first Coach bag?

Dayum, if I can't be one of those chicks can someone teach me that sense of entitlement? that veneer of impenetrable cool?

Truly, I'm happy for my life and I've been blessed, so it's okay that I'm not an authentic bourgeois black chick....I'll just fake it!

1 Comments:

Blogger Bougie Black Boy said...

LOVE it!

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home